“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Acts 2:38\
Theologians sometimes make the gift of the Holy Spirit seem confusing or difficult to attain, but the Scriptures make it very plain by following these steps:
1) REPENT. Confess your sins and ask forgiveness.
2) ASK. (See Luke 11:12.)
3) YIELD. Do not expect a sovereign act necessarily. You have the benefit of teachers. The apostles ministered the gift through prayer and laying on of hands. (See Psalm 81:10.)
4) DRINK. “If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.” (John 7:37b-38)
Ephesians 5:18 issues the command to “be filled with the Spirit.” It is a continuous process, like the wind that fills the sail and propels a boat forward. Evidence of receiving this precious gift is also continuous (Verse 19-21):
1) Your speech changed from selfish to godly.
2) You will sing in your heart with a full spirit.
3) You will be giving thanks always for all things.
4) You will exhibit submission and servanthood.
PRAY: “Holy Father, stir up Your gift within me* and let my life reflect Your supernatural purpose. Amen.”
*II Timothy 1:6 (paraphrased)