“The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates.” Psalm 11:5 (NIV)
I Peter 1:7 talks about the “trial of your faith,” and Paul talked about suffering “the loss of all things…that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings…” in Philippians 3:8-10. (Emphasis supplied.) Therein lies the reason for testings – MATURITY – not so God can determine your level of commitment… rather, so you can. How does He test you?
1) By leading you into a DIFFICULT WAY. Jesus was led into the wilderness…God’s training ground.
2) By putting CHOICES before you. Your choices reveal your true inner motives and desires.
3) By proposing HARD TASKS…the feeding of five thousand or other seemingly impossible tasks.a
4) By permitting you to SUFFER. Paul and Silas were beaten, chained, imprisoned…and PASSED!
5) By permitting TEMPTATION. Remember that God allows the devil’s tempting as part of your exam.
6) By demanding GREAT SACRIFICES. Abraham was put to the most stringent test…to give up what he held most dear…AND PASSED.
PRAY: “Father, help me pass the tests. I know You have promised they will be limited and under Your control,* and I know You will walk alongside me through them all. Amen.”
*1 Corinthians 10:13 and Hebrews 13:5 (paraphrased)