“For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.” I Corinthians 11:26 (NIV)
The sacrament of the Lord’s Supper is significant. Severe warnings were given (and still are) to any would- be participants who have not had their hearts circumcised and made clean by the Holy Spirit. Here is what Jesus’ death means to mankind:
1) It was VILE because of sin. Jesus took upon Himself all the sins and sickness of mankind… the Father had to turn away.
2) It was VIOLENT because of judgment. Sin is not pretty. It carries a violent price tag.
3) It was VOLUNTARY because of grace and love. Jesus GAVE His life; “…for the joy [of redemption] that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame…” (Hebrews 12:2)
4) It was VICARIOUS because of substitution. He bore YOUR sins on the cross and became a sin sacrifice so that you could “live unto righteousness.” (I Peter 2:24)
5) It was VICTORIOUS because death was overcome. “But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.” (Acts 2:24)
Realize the truths in these five “V’s” and partake of the Lord’s Supper worthily.
PRAY: “Father, each time I think of the cross that Your Son endured, I am reminded of Your love for me. Amen.”