“And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Matthew 4:19
Notice that Jesus said, “I will MAKE YOU fishers of men.” It is a skill that must be taught and learned. Fishing is something you go OUT of the church to do. You go to where the fish (men) are biting…to where the fish (men) are. “Hooking” men and women with the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a lot like fishing.
1) BAIT. That is YOU. God wants to use your testimony to draw people. Are you “live bait,” “dead bait,” or “cut bait”?
2) LINE. That is God’s WORD. Your knowledge of God’s Word will determine the strength of your “line.”
3) HOOK. That is JESUS. He is the One we should be “hooked” on! It is personal revelation that sets a deep hook. The disciples said, “That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you.” (I John 1:3a)
4) SINKER. That is God’s LOVE. This love is what takes the bait (you) down below the surface (superficial) to where the fish (souls) are.
5) NET. That is the CHURCH. It takes a “network” of people to actually land a fish into the boat (fellowship) where he is cleaned and served.
Fishing is not pretty…slimy worms, squid juice, dangerous gills…but it can be fun; and, most importantly, it PLEASES GOD!
PRAY: “Father, let’s go fishing today. I need You to show me where the best catches will be. Let Your glorious light shine through me in my neighborhood. In Jesus’ Name, amen.”